|The Black Maria Film Festival returns to Upstate Films! Honoring Thomas Edison, inventor and creator of the motion picture, the festival features award-winning narrative, experimental, animated, and documentary shorts. This year’s presentation at Upstate features award-winning films from each category.
- Umbrella House – Documentary. 10 min. by Catalina Santamaria, New York, NY. “Umbrella House” reveals the stories of the squatter community – most of them immigrants – that took over abandoned buildings in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, reconstructed them and made them into homes.
- SoundPrint – Experimental. 8 min. by Monteith McCollum, Vestal, NY. Explores the marks left by sonic frequencies on various materials and landscapes, natural and artificial.
- Egghead – Experimental. 1 min. by Patrick Longstreth, Marina Del Rey, CA. A bizarre breakfast encounter explores gender roles, reproduction, and the cycle of human life.
- Fishwife – Animation. 4 min. by Luke Jaeger, Northampton, MA. An enigmatic dancing man and a dog-headed woman celebrate the birth of a fish-child, then watch as it takes flight.
- Steel Mill Rolling – Documentary. 12 min. by Ross Nugent, Pittsburgh, PA. Equal parts landscape, industrial and portrait film, “Steel Mill Rolling” is a document of a functioning steel mill in Western Pennsylvania.
- The Stick Maker – Documentary. 4 min. by Curtis Albucher, Philadelphia, PA. For the Onondaga, the game of lacrosse is played for the pleasure of the Creator, and has a deep meaning for the players and their community.
- The Ballad of Holland Island House – Animation. 4 min. by Lynn Tomlinson, Owings Mills, MD. “The Ballad of Holland Island House” tells the true story of the last house on a sinking island in the Chesapeake Bay, brought to life through fluidly transforming animated clay-on-glass paintings.
- Self Portrait Portrait – Documentary. 6 min. by James Hollenbaugh, Lancaster, PA. Bryan Lewis Saunders has been creating a self-portrait every day for nearly twenty years.
- Return to Dak To – Documentary. 49 min. by Christopher Upham, San Francisco, CA. Director and combat medic Christopher Upham journeys to vibrant contemporary Vietnam with four veteran comrades.